Subject: Re: Lightwave BBS?
From: [email-masked] (Steven Davis)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 94 9:25:40 CDT

> 
> I'm in a dilemma. I don't have a Ethernet card for my Amiga 2000 and 
> I want to FTP Lightwave objects and other toaster information. My 
> current mail system is on a PC. As you know the PC dos is not 
> compatible with Amiga DOS so I can't FTP to this site then transfer 
> it to floppy and onto my Amiga. So My next step is to dial directly 
> into a billboard with similar informational services. 

I`m transfering files from PC`s and UNIX boxes quite often to the Amiga, one
way is simply to use Cross-Dos, this allows an Amiga to read PC formatted
disks, if you have an A2000 then you need to format the PC disks in 720k
format, if you have an A4000 then use normal 1.44k PC disks.

Another method I use is the hard disk.  I have a Fastlane Z3 SCSI-2 card in
my A4000, and I have a 1Gb disk that is formatted in MSDOS, this disk is in
an external case, so I can carry it around, I usually connect it to my PC
at home, or sometimes use the 586 machines in my office for VistaPro
rendering, and save the animations directly to the hard disk.  I then can
take the hard disk home, connect it to the Amiga, boot up, mount it as an
MSDOS volume, and all the data is available.  fastest way to do it :)

yet another method, I used to use, is link up the PC and Amiga with a Null 
Modem cable and use a COMMS package to transfer the data across.
This should be your easiest option, rather slow though, I can get speeds up to
115000 baud, but find 57600 gives me least errors, although using ZMODEM, I
usually use 115000 baud, and live with the errors, as the packets get re-sent
and I obtain all my data faster than at 57600.

> 
> I've asked my computer gurus here on campus and unless I have an 
> Ethernet card, I'm hosed. Any suggestions.

Hmm, well. they seem to tell you the easiest option for them. Probably not
quite understanding your using an Amiga.

> 
> Sorry if this sounds stupid. I'm stupid in certain areas of computer 
> use.

Not stupid at all!, this is probably one of the most common problems people get
with using PC/UNIX/Email system, and I`m sure you`ll get a few more replies than
mine.

> 
> Randy Cadwell
> NDSU Extension Communications
> Video Production
> Fargo, North Dakota
> (701)237-7953
>  
> 

-- 
 ==============================================================================
   Steve Davis                               Email : [email-masked]
   Senior Software Engineer                  Phone : (852) 5931646 (Direct)
   Intergraph Graphics Systems                       (852) 5931600
   Hong Kong                                 Fax   : (852) 8020781
 ==============================================================================